ABOUT               CONTACT               HEALTH + WELLNESS               MARRIAGE + MINISTRY

Monday, November 16, 2015

Becoming Healthy: Mindset

This post is 100% raw, honest, and vulnerable. My heart is pumping as I hit “publish.” You may have even noticed that it has taken me a bit of time to write this second post of the “Becoming Healthy” series. It wasn’t something I could write quickly, or set a “publish date”” on. I needed time to know exactly what it was I wanted to say, how to properly put it into words and share it with you!


I want to be completely open and real. Certain areas of my life get “tucked away” or untold on social media + this blog. In some instances, that is for good reason. I don’t feel it necessary or appropriate to share every single personal detail of my life. But in many ways, sharing your story and personal journey is empowering and inspiring. Not only for yourself, but for others. When I read about other women’s struggles, accomplishments, and LIFE in general, it is always so encouraging and relatable to myself. I want to be a woman who uses my blog to speak out and tell my story. I hope something I share, big or small, inspires and encourages others, even you, in some way.




I have been working on becoming the healthiest version of myself for some time. What does that mean? It doesn’t mean I am carrying a ton of extra weight. It doesn’t mean I’m out of shape. But it means I want to take care of myself. I want to feel well. I want to love and respect the body God has given me. So I read books, visit blogs, scroll through Instagram health (NOT fitness models) accounts, follow doctors and nutritionists online, and have even talked with experts all in order to educate myself on nutrition and wellness. Because of all of this research, I’ve inevitably tried numerous ways of eating and taking care of myself.


From Paleo, Whole30s, calorie counting and restriction, high protein/low carbs, high fat, portion control containers, protein powders, meal replacement shakes (I’m happy to say I have found one that is ahhhmazing), sugar detoxes, and the list could go on. While I implement some or part of these ways of eating today, nothing has ever been my ONE answer or solution to my diet or “health goals.”.


I’ve realized that not finding the “one perfect” nutritional solution is normal and okay. That goes against every marketing pitch you and I hear. But it’s true.


It’s okay when things just don’t fit my lifestyle. It’s okay if things just don’t work. It’s okay that I have done some exploring when it comes to my health and nutrition. It’s okay to continue exploring and see what works best for me. It’s okay to eat a certain way. It’s okay to eliminate certain foods for a time. It’s okay to try a diet. It’s okay to do a fitness program. If you are reading this and can relate...don’t feel guilty, it’s okay.


I have realized that when it comes to being truly healthy, it cannot be done only by outward things such as nutrition and exercise. Rather, health comes when you combine both the outer form of  health with your inner form of health. In other words words...


It is essential to have a healthy mindset.


While I’m now working on a better mindset, it wasn’t always a work in progress...


When it came to trying certain ways of eating, I always had a mentality of ABSOLUTES. Meaning, I HAD to eat a certain way. I commanded my body to follow guidelines perfectly. The smallest of slip-ups completely de-railed my efforts. If I screwed up, I wouldn’t respond by fixing the mistake. Instead, I would come crashing down, give up, and run in the opposite and unhealthy direction.


For example:


Counting/Restricting Calories? If I ever went over, I threw in the towel and thought it was a lost cause anyways. “I guess I’ll just eat whatever I want!” And don’t even get me started on the mind game that those “calorie tracker” apps play...


Telling myself gluten and dairy are COMPLETELY off limits? Yea...you know that saying, “you want what you can’t have?”


No sugar for 30 days? On day 31 you bet I consumed every gram of sugar I could get my hands on!


And can I be really open and honest?


I approached the 30 day cleansing and fat burning system as a “quick fix” program. While I believe in the products, and still use them today, my mindset when starting the program did not set me up for continued success. I was stuck in that mentality of absolutes. I was stuck in the thought that I will be “fixed” after a certain number of days with the perfect product. The “you gotta go hard to reach your goals” mindset kicked in. The “If you drink the alcoholic beverage you won’t get the same results as someone else who chose not to” advice was constantly giving me guilt. I felt unhealthy. I felt broken. I felt like a failure.


Does any part of this sound at all like you? Can you relate to these things on any level? I feel like I could not possibly be alone on this!


I’ve just recently realized how many years I’ve had thoughts about losing weight and being my healthiest self in this type of “quick fix” mindset. How many years I would lose weight quickly, and then gain it back that much more quickly. I’ve always been enticed by 21, 30, 90, however many day programs, because I thought my up and down battle could end within that amount of days. I am SO OVER IT. I’m done being a slave to a dieting, absolutes, and “getting the perfect body now” mindset.


You can have the best program, supplements, and organic food in the world. But if your mind is telling you that all will be resolved with your health, you are setting yourself up for disappointment and failures again and again.


So how do I fix this mindset problem that I have? I am not a psychologist, or a coach on this subject. But I have done my research through videos, blogs, books, and social media platforms. I’ve been blessed to come across some AMAZING experts who support and teach people how to overcome a negative mindset with nutrition. From these sources, and numerous pieces of advice, I have chosen 4 practices to focus on in becoming more positively minded towards nutrition. These are a starting points. They won’t be perfected in a week; it will take time. But I know these practices will help me kick a negative mindset around food.


I’m LOVING the body I have, NOW!

How many women can truly say they love and respect their body? If you do...yay! I am so very happy for you! But let’s be honest. Who has had a “Fitness Inspiration” Pinterest board at some point in their life filled with pins of fitness models, and women with tight “perfect bodies.” My first piece of advice is, DELETE those images! Love, respect, and admire YOUR body. The body that you have right NOW. If you do not practice loving your body for what it is now, you will constantly be chasing that “dream” body, toned abs, or those cellulite free legs. That type of mindset is so negative and disrespectful, it even hurts to write it! By loving what your body is, you can more successfully focus on making it the healthiest version of itself right now!


I’m no longer thinking in absolutes when it comes to my diet.

I am working on the well known 80/20 rule. Well, heck, sometimes maybe it’s 60/40. Maybe even 50/50. Whatever ratio it is. I am working towards a balance between nutritionally valuable food, and food that I consume for enjoyment. Thinking in absolutes or a 100% healthy all the time mentality will more than likely send you spiraling backwards the moment you make one “unhealthy” choice. Whatever your ratio is, just make it better than what you are doing now.


I’m learning how to eat “intuitively.”

Have you ever eaten a snack at 10 am because that is your “snack time?” Do you immediately start preparing your lunch at noon because that’s when you always eat lunch? Oh my goodness have I ever been programmed that way! I’ve always thought, “I need to eat every 2 hours.” or “I eat at this time, this time, and this time. What?! Why?! Yes, I understand that their is science behind keeping your metabolism going, and obviously some of us have scheduled times in our work day that only allows us to eat at that time. But what if you threw your scheduled times of eating out the window? What if instead you listened to your body, the signs it was giving you, and then ate when you were truly hungry?


I’m eliminating food guilt.

This is a big struggle of mine. But here is how I am working to fix it. If I am wanting to consume food that could possibly make me feel guilty I first think about my choice. What do I truly want for my body? If it is the enjoyment and pleasure of a guilt food, I first accept my choice, get in a good mood, and go for it! I sit down and truly enjoy the food! I am so sick and tired of the endless cycle of guilt and shame behind eating certain foods. OWN your choices, live in the moment, and enjoy every last bite! Once you start mindfully making choices, and asking yourself what you truly want or need, making “healthier” choices will become that much easier.

No one is perfect. Not you or me. I know that I will have struggles and setbacks when it comes to a healthy mindset about food. I’m a continual work in progress.

But practice makes progress, and progress leads to success over time. It could be a long time, or maybe a shorter amount of time. I’m taking my time. I'm showing myself grace in times of failure. I'm asking the Lord to bless my efforts. I'm looking to make each day better than the previous one when it comes to my health, nutrition, and mindset.



3 comments:

  1. Rachel, thank you for sharing your writing. As always, you have inspired me with your insight and candor. I'm happy that you've learned that thinking in absolutes about diet is completely unrealistic and self defeating at a much earlier age than me.
    Sending you a big hug :)
    Araceli Whitwam-Sell (Kitti)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for taking the time to read + comment, Mrs Whitwam :) I'm thankful that God has opened my eyes to this knowledge and I am continuing to learn more and practice it daily! I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! And happy Decemeber!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for taking the time to read + comment, Mrs Whitwam :) I'm thankful that God has opened my eyes to this knowledge and I am continuing to learn more and practice it daily! I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! And happy Decemeber!

    ReplyDelete

your comments mean tons + tons. Thank you!